Published on March 6th, 2012 | by Kim LaCapria0
Buckyballs, Cute Desktop Distraction, Nearly Kills Toddler Who Swallowed 37 of Them
A lot of people on Facebook seem to enjoy the fidgeting possibilities presented by the magnetic toy Buckyballs, but the popular distraction got a PR hit today when it was widely reported that a toddler was seriously injured by the magnetic playthings.
Three-year-old Payton Bushnell complained to her parents of flu-like symptoms, and when she was treated, x-rays revealed 37 of the Buckyballs magnets clustered in her intestines. Looking at the toy, it’s not really surprising a toddler might be attracted to swallowing them, and there have even been reports of much older children accidentally swallowing the shiny, small Buckyballs during play.
On the Buckyballs website, the company added a brief statement at the top acknowledging the incident and reminding consumers that the toys are not for kids:
Buckyballs was saddened to learn that a 3-year old girl in Oregon had swallowed high-powered magnets but we are relieved that she is expected to make a full recovery. This unfortunate incident underscores the fact that Buckyballs and Buckycubes are for adults.They are not toys and are not intended for children. We urge all consumers to read and comply with the warnings we place on all our products, on our website and in stores. Please keep these products out of the hands and reach of all children.
Doctors removed the Buckyballs, and Bushnell is expected to make a full recovery.