Published on October 9th, 2012 | by Steven Hodson0
Here’s A Hint – Gorging Yourself On Live Cockroaches For A Contest Isn’t Good For Your Health
We are known for doing really stupid things in order to prove just how stupid we can be but there are those times when trying to prove how good you are at something can prove to be deadly.
Such was the case with a recent live cockroach eating contest held by a reptile shop in Deerfield Beach, Florida, where the “life of the party” Edward Archibold decided to prove how much of a man he was by “dominating” the competition as he downed dozens of the live insects in a matter of a few minutes.
The only problem was that shortly after being awarded with an ivory-ball python Archibold tragically died.
While the police are currently investigating it isn’t believed that the ingestion of all those cockroaches were the reason for his death. As Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, said to the AP:
“Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don’t think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat,” said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside. He said he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches.
“Some people do have allergies to roaches,” he added, “but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects.”
The cockroaches may not have been the cause but I don’t care how much protein they are supposed to have I wouldn’t be caught eating even one, dead or alive.